Many schools already have some excellent anti-bullying and community-building practices, but these can be overly compartmentalized, occurring only at specific times of day. Emotions are happening all the time!
Here are some things educators can do to fill the gaps:
- Create multiple opportunities for class meetings or class moments where everyone has a voice and everyone gets to be seen.
- Create school structures so that adults at our schools are easily available for young people, where they have the time and the emotional space to give young people their full attention and empathy.
- Create time for teachers and adults at school to reflect, to notice if kids are being excluded and to work to create inclusion throughout the day.
- Build the critical skills of empathy and community within our kids.
- Model empathy and self-management skills. Kids learn from the example of the adults around them.
You May Also Like: