Peacemaker Trainer Certification
A train-the-trainer program for schools
“I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside.” — Whitney Houston
It’s time to take a step towards peace.
We are honored to offer you and your school staff a place in the inaugural cohort of our train-the-trainer Peacemaker Certification Program.
For Fall, we introduce a train-the-trainer certification for our signature Peacemaker Program for schools. Up to two adults per school learn to run the Peacemaker Program on their school campus. Certified Peacemaker Trainers receive everything needed to successfully launch the Peacemaker Program and nurture Peacemakers throughout the year. For schools seeking additional support to engage the entire school community, additional resources are available. Turn your school into a Peace School! Two training cohorts are available in August 2021: in-person and online.
Why is it important to invest in a train-the-trainer model?
More and more research is pointing to the importance of supporting the well-being of adults and educators who work with students. In a recent SEL policy brief by CASEL, it recommends that district leaders:
- Invest in professional learning or programs focused on adults’ personal SEL skills.
- Provide embedded professional learning on teaching and integrating SEL, culturally responsive education, family engagement, and creating a supportive climate.
- Establish structures to share and elevate expertise and experiences of educators, such as peer coaching/mentoring and dedicated time for collaborative problem-solving.
- Develop instructional coaching and feedback loops focused on SEL and school climate.
Soul Shoppe’s Peacemaker Certification Program will foster the well-being of each Peacemaker Training who goes through our program. Monthly coaching calls are offered to all PM Trainers to problem solve challenges, discuss program logistics, and to share wins and successes. This community of trainers will also have space and time to explore and improve their own personal and professional communication and conflict skills and tools.
When more care, safety, respect, and student leadership become part of your campus, students are more ready to learn!
What would it feel like to create a more peaceful and empathetic school?
- To meet kids where they are
- To foster youth leadership, empathy and care
- To decrease fighting and arguing and increase fun and peace at recess
- To build a school-wide restorative model to work through problems
Imagine doing all of this with other school communities who understand the power of youth voices and the importance of investing resources into their training as peacemakers and allies of our communities and world. They are our present and our future leaders.
In this last year, we’ve all been challenged. We’ve been isolated and stressed out. We’ve experienced the emotional roller coaster of feelings from despair to anger to hope. Our young people have missed their friends and have missed essential and important opportunities to learn and grow beside their peers which is crucial for their overall emotional and social well-being. We’ve worried about our students, and we’ve worried about ourselves! There has been an incredible impact to our mental health that has been devastating on our kids, families, and school communities.
As we start to look towards the fall, we need safe ways for students to engage with one another – ways that will give them tools and strategies to work out problems, embody peace, and practice their listening and communication skills for more connection and empathy.
Students are ready for peace – are you?
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” — Frederick Douglass
Students want the tools and skills for peace – do you?
The Peacemaker Program is a student leadership program that trains a team of select 3rd, 4th and 5th grade Peacemakers to solve problems and provide allyship and communication support on the playground and in the classroom.
- Through the years we’ve trained a hundred thousand students to be student Peacemakers.
- We’ve watched students use their words to work out conflicts, and to offer and ask for forgiveness.
- We’ve witnessed students use their voices to courageously ask for what they need and stand for what they want.
- We’ve seen students open up and extend their empathy, care and understanding to one another.
Peer to peer relationships get results. Researchers have reported the power of peer group intervention as the most effective form of intervention, and suggested that prevention/intervention programs provide students with the skill-building and support they need to do so.
 O’Connell, Pepler & Craig, 1999; Salmivalli, 1999; Sutton & Smith, 1999; Twemlow, Fonagy, & Sacco, 2004
Our train-the-trainer program is an immersive experience filled with activities that will fully support you to:
- Discover your own conflict & problem-solving styles
- Understand the physiology of stress & conflict
- Learn the restorative power of the Soul Shoppe Peace PathⓇ
- Gain new tools to work through problems
- Enhance your listening and empathy skills
- Feel confident about training your student Peacemakers
- Set up the Peacemaker Program for success
- Support the entire school to use the Peace Path tools
2021 Certification Dates
COHORT 2: Virtual Training Dates
Tuesday, August 10, 4:00-6:00 pm Livestream Lesson #1
August 10-16, Module 1: digital course (asynchronous)
Tuesday, August 17, 4:00-5:00 pm Livestream Lesson #2
August 17-23 Module 2: digital course (asynchronous)
Tuesday, August 24, 4:00-5:00 pm Livestream Lesson #3
COHORT 3: Virtual Training Dates
Sept. 28 (4-6pm), Oct. 5 (4-5pm), Oct. 12 (4-5pm), 2021
Digital course self-study during the week
COHORT 4: Virtual Training Dates
Jan. 27 (4-6pm), Feb. 3 (4-5pm), Feb. 10 (4-5pm), 2022
Digital course self-study during the week
COHORT 5: In Person Training (Oakland, CA)
- June 22-24 from 9am-4pm