Walk the peace path with us
join our team
Become a Board Member
Soul Shoppe Programs is accepting applications for our Board of Directors, to support our organization as we deliver services to elementary school communities. For 20 years Soul Shoppe has primarily served the San Francisco Bay Area in person, and after pivoting to new digital courses and services, we are ready for a new era which includes scaling throughout the country and beyond!
Our mission is to transform schools and communities by cultivating awareness, empathy and connection. Soul Shoppe transforms learning communities into inclusive, empathy–based environments by teaching kids and adults the restorative social–emotional skills they need to navigate life’s difficulties with compassion and self–awareness. We envision a world where respect and empathy are the norm, and every kid (and adult) can thrive and shine!
Summary of Director’s Responsibilities
1. Evaluate and uphold the organization’s mission and purpose
2. Assist in monitoring program goals
3. Support and evaluate the Executive Director
4. Protect the organization’s assets and provide financial oversight while ensuring adherence to legal standards and ethical norms.
5. Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization
6. Help identify and secure the financial resources and partnerships necessary for Soul Shoppe to advance its mission and public standing.
7. Give a meaningful personal financial donation.
Soul Shoppe Programs
Soul Shoppe seeks to recruit directors and advisors who can provide the classic non-profit “3 Ws”: work, wealth and wisdom. Board members are expected to attend at least 75% of virtual bi-monthly meetings. On average, board members spend 4-6 hours per month supporting Soul Shoppe by participating in board meetings, committees and supporting fundraising efforts. Members are asked to make an annual financial contribution that is meaningful to them. The board also participates in efforts to raise money for Soul Shoppe meaningful to them. The board also participates in efforts to raise money for Soul Shoppe through fundraising activities, including attending fundraising events and connecting our organization to potential donors. Directors are elected by a majority vote by other directors.
General Expectations and Responsibilities
The preferred candidate will have a background in fundraising, business, and/or non-profit. They will be morally aligned with our mission with an interest in mindfulness, social emotional education, and restorative practices.
1. Attend all Board and applicable committee meetings.
2. Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality policies.
3. Assist the Board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities such as reviewing annual financial statements, budgets and accounting practices.
4. Provide candid and constructive criticism, advice and comments.
5. Contribute to the fundraising projects and events through personal contributions and by generating support from friends and other contacts.
6. Participate in the governance through election of new officers, appointment of staff and other matters to fulfill the requirements under the articles of the organization.
7. Be committed to understanding the needs and diversity of the communities served by Soul Shoppe’s programs and services.
8. Function as a good will ambassador and spokesperson for the organization and its programs acting in good faith and reflecting the best interests of Soul Shoppe and the communities it serves.
Compensation: This is an unpaid board position
IF interested, please send resume and cover letter responding to the following:
- What areas of Wisdom, Wealth and Work would you like to share as a potential Board member?
- What is your schedule availability to provide 5-6 hours/month to attend meetings, work with committees and assist with fundraisers?
Email: [email protected]